Causes of Hair Loss in Women and Treatment:
– Hormonal imbalance due to pregnancy or menopause. The changes are the sex hormonal levels in women as seen in menopause or after a hysterectomy. At this time the change in the sex hormonal levels can give the male sex hormones androgen more influence and trigger the thinning. A history of oral contraceptives may also cause the sex hormonal imbalances in younger women with diffuse hair loss.
– Hypothyroidism is a common cause of diffuse hair loss. These imbalances will affect the hair natural ability for growth and cause infuse hair loss as seen in auto immune disease and hormonal imbalances hair loss. Thyroid hormones are important in the development and maintenance of hair follicles. An imbalance in the thyroid will cause either hypothyroidism an underactive thyroid or hyperthyroidism or an overactive thyroid. Both conditions may contribute to hair loss in which the hair goes through a longer telogen phase as seen in telogen effluvium.
– Androgenetic alopecia – also called female-pattern baldness and usually hereditary. Genetic means inherited from one or both parents. Genetic thinning does not affect all areas of the scalp. The hair recession usually occurs on the temple and the front and or crown areas of the scalp. This condition is caused by genetics predisposition, the androgen levels post-puberty and the immune reaction at the bulb of the hair follicles. Immune reaction of the bulb characterized by inflammation in the follicle region.
– Alopecia areata — Alopecia areata in women, a possibly autoimmune disorder that causes patchy bald spots that can range from diffuse thinning to extensive areas of baldness or bald patches.
– Nutrition: Poor diet lowers resistance and increases the chances of infections. A wide variety of vitamins, proteins, minerals and amino acids are essential in the regeneration of hair and maintaining healthy follicles. Poor protein intakes, essential fatty acids deficiency and malabsorption resulting from eating under stressed conditions or consuming food too quickly.
– Stress or Trauma: Emotional stress can be a trigger to auto immune alopecias and infections of the scalp which include psoriasis. The excessive hair loss may be a temporary reaction to physical or emotion stress or physiological trauma. Stress can also increase oiliness in the scalp will leads to sebum production.
– Postnatal hair loss occurs after pregnancy which occurs approximately 3 months after the cessation of the pregnancy. This type of alopecia is usually self correcting following the restoration of the estrogens and androgens hormonal contributing factors after childbirth. An imbalance pituitary gland may cause excessive secretion of prolactin hormones due to the over production of testosterone, estrogen and androgen as seen in women after childbirth and breast feeding which is a normal change process post pregnancy or seen in post-partum hair loss.
– Acquired hair loss due to chemical process frequently seen in hairdressing applications such as the excess use of hydrogen peroxide in bleaching of the hair in which the chemical damages the hair bud causing a chemical burn to the hair follicles.
– Acquired hair loss due to excessive heat application: This is commonly seen as hot comb alopecia where hair that has been oiled is put under tension of a hot comb.
– Radiation hair loss: This type of hair loss takes the longest to recover. Hair loss severity will depend on the dose of radiation and the frequency of the treatment. Hair recovery will begin after the cessation of the radiation of therapy.
– Traction Allopecia: This is where has hair has been frequently exposed to a prolong period of traction particularly found in braiding, weaving and hair extensions. Marginal alopecia can be observed particularly above and around the ears and at the base of the hair where the traction usually occurs. This include in the frequent and tight styling of hair in buns and ponytails. Alternative hairstyle is advised for clients with traction alopecia.
BioRevive HairGro Center Singapore offers effective hair loss products & the best hair loss treatments for women by combining hair growth properties of ayurvedic herbs and Bio-Botanicals proven to reduce hair loss and encourage hair regrowth. The natural solution for alopecia treatment in Singapore, an auto-immune condition causing bald patches and hair thinning in areas of the scalp.